Italian coffee is an art form that’s steeped in customs and tradition. With a coffee drink for virtually every occasion, some claim there are as many types of coffee in Italy as there are pastas. If you fell in love with Italian coffee while traveling abroad, we’ve got good news. With an Italian coffee maker, you can savor Italian coffee whenever you like, and enjoy creating your own coffee rituals and traditions.
There are two basic methods for making traditional Italian coffee, either with an Italian Moka Pot (such as a Bialetti Moka Express) or an espresso machine. Let’s explore each technique.
Italian Moka Coffee Pot: Designed for stovetop use, this type of coffee maker will generally make six 2 oz. cups of espresso in less than five minutes. Simply fill the lower chamber with water and the top filter with finely ground coffee. When the water boils, the pressurization moves the espresso to the upper chamber.
Here are a few tips for making the perfect Italian coffee using a Moka Coffee Pot:
- Remove from heat as soon as coffee reaches the top chamber
- Avoid chlorinated water
- Never pack or compress the coffee in the filter
- Use often to avoid a metallic taste; if you haven’t used your Moka in a while, make a weak pot (lungo), discard, and make a fresh pot
- Never let the coffee boil
- Clean with tap water only-never wash with detergents or place in dishwasher
- Smaller-sized Moka pots tend to produce the best flavored coffe
Espresso Machine: Home espresso machines use either steam or a pump to create the amount of pressure necessary to thoroughly extract the flavor from the coffee grounds. While both steam- and pump-powered Italian coffee makers are popular choices among consumers, espresso purists prefer pump machines for their ability to consistently maintain both temperature and pressure. Before purchasing an espresso machine, be sure to check out online ratings and reviews.
Regardless of the coffee maker you choose, be sure to use only the finest ingredients. Enjoy creating your own Italian coffee traditions!